My family was shocked that I didn’t add sugar to this ice cream! I was excited about how easy it was! So, to continue our healthy foods that start with the letter I, we made banana ice cream in three simple steps:
- Freeze bananas in their peel. I didn’t wait till they were super frozen, just a few hours so I could still cut them up easily. Sometimes the peel comes right off the frozen banana. Sometimes, if I leave them in the freezer too long, I have to cut the peel off.
- Place 2 cups of chopped frozen bananas in a blender with 1/8 cup milk and 1 tsp. vanilla extract and blend till smooth.
- Return banana mixture to the freezer until it freezes again. This step is key. Once blended, the banana is more like a smoothie. Returning it to the freezer AFTER you blend it, makes it more of ice cream consistency.
- This freezes, defrosts and refreezes pretty quickly. If you wait till the ice cream is very frozen, take it out about 15 minutes to soften before scooping into dishes. If it gets too soft, return it to the freezer. It will set up again pretty quickly.
- A+ and please make it again from my husband and boys. Erica, who I used to call the flip-flopper on this blog decided suddenly she doesn’t like bananas. Oh well, you can’t win them all, right?
- Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Low Sugar Ice Cream
The Easiest, Most Delicious Homemade Ice Cream In the World
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/8 cup milk, soy milk or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine all in a blender. Place in the freezer until firm.