- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium sweet potato
- 30 ounce black beans, canned
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 3 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 medium orange
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 stalk green onion
- 6 slice bread, whole wheat
- 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 medium apple
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Dice onion and add to the saucepan; cook about 5 minutes until softened, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, chop sweet potatoes into bite-size pieces, and drain and rinse the black beans. Set aside separately.
- Add the chili powder and cumin to the onion, then add the broth and sweet potatoes; stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Add undrained tomatoes and black beans; continue to simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes more until the mixture is heated through and slightly thickened.
- Zest the orange; stir 2 teaspoons zest into the chili, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While chili is cooking, preheat oven to Broil.
- Spread butter evenly onto each slice of bread, then sprinkle with garlic powder and place onto a baking sheet.
- Place bread under the broiler for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Watch closely so it does not burn!
- Serve chili topped with green onions and sour cream as desired; serve toast and apple slices on the side.
Calories: 509kcal | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 1031mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 27g