Almost every parent that I talk to says that one of the biggest road blocks to making healthy meals for their family is TIME. Working parents, stay at home parents, working at home parents, all of them have the same problem. In the summer, it can get even worse. When you have time, most people want to be outside enjoying the beautiful weather with their kids, not standing over a hot stove cooking. This refreshing crockpot meal is so fast and easy that it will get you out of the kitchen and into the sunshine with your kids in no time. (Ok maybe 15 minutes)
Another issue is picky eaters. A lot of kids have a hard time with leafy greens. Sometime it can be the texture, or flavor that bothers kids. This crepe adds a boost of nutrition with leafy greens but doesn’t change the texture or flavor of the crepe. Truly a meal for the entire family to enjoy this summer.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 lemon, sliced. Rind and pith cut off.
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- Handful of sage leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 c Ricotta cheese
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 t. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c baby spinach leaves
- 3/4 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- Layer onion and garlic on the bottom of the slow cooker. Place chicken on top of onions and garlic. Spread sage leaves and lemon slices on top of chicken. Add salt and pepper if desired. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. When chicken mixture is done, remove from crockpot and place in a bowl. Shred chicken and mix with ricotta cheese. Spoon onto crepes and serve.
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Heat a skillet until a little water sizzles when dropped on it. Spray pan with cooking spray. Pour a small amount of batter into skillet, tilting pan so batter covers bottom.
- Cook until nicely browned on underside. Loosen edge; turn; cook until browned on other side. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Then stack on waxed paper. Repeat with rest of batter, to make about 12 crepes.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie