- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- 1 medium onion
- 3 clove garlic
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, red
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 pound beef, ground, 95% lean
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, dried
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Dice onion, garlic, and bell peppers. In a large pot or dutch oven, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt. Drain fat if any, reduce heat to medium-low, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Serve about 1 1/3 cups of soup in each bowl and top with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice. Optional: Serve in the hollow inside of a bell pepper.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 566mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g