- 2 clove garlic
- 1/2 medium onion, red
- 1 1/4 pound turkey, ground
- 1 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 15 ounce black beans, canned
- 1 cup cilantro
- 4 medium hamburger buns, whole wheat
- Dice garlic, and red onion. Heat a small amount of olive oil or cooking spray in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red onion and garlic. Saute until onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add turkey and cook until browned.
- Add in next 5 ingredients (through chili powder) Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Stir in black beans, dash of salt and pepper, and cilantro (or 1 tablespoon dried cilantro). Cook several minutes until beans are heated through.
- Serve on hamburger buns or bread, and top with your favorite spicy food toppings like guacamole, sliced jalapenos, or red onion. Other suggestions: queso fresco, black olives, sour cream.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie