- 1 medium tomato, red
- 2 medium apple
- 1 medium avocado
- 4 cup lettuce, romaine
- In a saucepan, mix together the water, salsa and grits. Bring to a boil; then, lower heat, cover, and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until desired thickness is reached. Stir once halfway through cooking.
- While grits simmer, chop peppers and onion; set aside. Shred cheese.
- Once grits are cooked, remove from stove and stir in cheese. Cover and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions, corn, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Stir together and cook for 5 minutes. Rinse and drain beans, then add to mixture and stir, cooking for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
- Dice tomato, apples and avocado; toss together in a large mixing bowl with shredded lettuce.
- Serve veggies over warm grits with salad on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie