Your kids will love the familiar taste of sloppy joes in this plant-based makeover! Wholesome, high-fiber lentils combine with veggies and spices to make a hearty filling for a whole grain bun.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup lentils, raw
- 4 cup water
- 14 1/2 ounce stewed tomatoes, canned
- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 regular hamburger buns, whole wheat
- 2 cup watermelon
- Chop onion and green pepper and mince garlic.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion, green pepper and garlic; sauté 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover; simmer on medium-low for at least 45 minutes until lentils are softened.
- Serve on hamburger buns with fruit on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie