- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 1/4 medium onion, red
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 3 clove garlic
- 30 ounce black beans, canned
- 10 ounce tomatoes with green chilies, canned
- 4 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1/4 cup tomato paste, canned
- 3 cup water
- 1/8 cup cornmeal, yellow
- 4 ounce tortilla chips
- 2 cup mango cubes, frozen
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the chicken, and then sprinkle a small amount of the seasoning mixture onto both sides. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until no longer pink. Shred, and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Dice the onion and peppers, and mince the garlic; add to the pot and stir to sauté. Add in the remaining spice mixture and the shredded chicken and stir again to fully combine.
- Drain and rinse the beans; add to the stock pot along with the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a boil and then simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the cornmeal and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let rest for 15 minutes; the soup will thicken as it cools.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips, and serve with mango on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie