- Thaw turkey if frozen; remove neck and giblets, rinse, and pat dry. Let turkey sit at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F, moving rack to the lower-third section.
- In a small saucepan, heat olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and zest from the lemons (about 3 tablespoons). Bring to a simmer over medium-high and cook about 1 minute until garlic is soft and lemon is slightly shriveled. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Tuck wing tips underneath body of the turkey. Season inside of turkey with 1/2 the salt and pepper. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Brush 1/2 the rosemary-lemon oil all over the turkey and season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Cut onions into wedges and place in a heavy-bottomed roasting pan. Set a roasting rack over onions and place turkey on top; roast 45-60 minutes until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to 375° F, add 1 cup water to the pan, and continue to roast 1.5-2 hours, brushing turkey with remaining oil mixture every 30 minutes until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of a thigh reads 165° F. (Add more water as necessary if pan becomes too dry.)
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie