- 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, part skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 medium lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium apple
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 cup cabbage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cut zucchini into thin sticks and then into smaller pieces. (If you prefer to grate, there will be more liquid released so they may not be as fluffy.) In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, ricotta, egg, the zest of the lemon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Gently mix in bread crumbs, being careful not to overmix. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the salad: Chop the apple and bell pepper, and shred the carrot and cabbage. Add to a large bowl and toss with oil, honey, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
- Add enough oil to a large skillet to form a 1/4 inch layer and heat over medium. Shape zucchini batter into thick patties and gently add to hot oil in skillet; cook 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels to remove excess oil. Add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve zucchini cakes with salad.
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 529mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 15g