- 1/4 medium onion, red
- 1 medium lemon
- 10 ounce tuna, canned in water
- 15 ounce great northern beans, canned
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 slice bread, whole wheat
- 4 leaf outer lettuce
- 4 medium orange
- 1 medium cucumber
- Dice red onion. Zest and juice lemon.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle some of the lemon juice over the chopped onions while you prepare the other ingredients. This will help reduce the intensity of the onion taste.
- Drain the tuna and put it into a medium bowl. Drain and rinse the beans. Mash half the beans; add to the tuna along with the whole beans. Gently stir to combine. Add the onions, chopped parsley, black pepper, lemon zest, remaining lemon juice and olive oil; mix to combine. Add hot sauce and salt, to taste. If the salad seems a little dry, add a bit more olive oil.
- Toast bread and spread each of 4 slices with tuna mixture. Top with lettuce leaves and second slice of bread; cut in half. Serve each with cucumber slices and orange wedges.
Calories: 551kcal | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 1089mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 7g