- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 1/2 medium bell pepper, red
- 1/4 cup barley, pearled, dry
- 1/4 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained
- 2 tablespoon parsley, dried
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/8 cup flour, whole wheat
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium rolls, hard
- 2 cup spinach
- 1 medium avocado
- 4 apricot apricot
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Once temperature is set, toss in the sweet potato. Cook for 40-60 minutes, or until it is tender when squeezed.
- Slice the peppers. Add them to the oven the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Meanwhile, cook barley and quinoa separately, as directed on package.
- When sweet potato is done, and cooled to touch, peel the skin off and then combine the flesh with the chickpeas, parsley, cayenne, cumin, salt, pepper, flour and 1 tablespoon of oil, in a food processor or high-powered blender. Blend well. Mix bean mixture with cooled barley and quinoa.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat; place 4 even scoops of mixture into hot skillet and flatten out like a patty. Allow to brown on each side.
- Serve on a roll with spinach, avocado slices and roasted red pepper slices; apricots on the side.
Calories: 563kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 941mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 8g