- 3 cup water
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon yeast, active dry
- 2 cup flour, whole wheat
- 4 1/2 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 6 ounce tomato paste, canned
- 4 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounce provolone cheese
- 1 none cooking spray
- Mix together all bread ingredients in a very large bowl, JUST UNTIL MOISTENED. Do NOT over-mix!
- Cover loosely with saran wrap and let set for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, shape dough into 4 grapefruit-sized balls. Place on a cookie sheet (sprinkled with corn meal to prevent sticking), and let rise another 40 minutes.
- Put a pan on the bottom rack of the oven and a baking stone on the middle rack (if you have one; if not just use a cookie sheet). Preheat oven to 450° F (with pans inside).
- Slide loaves onto hot baking stone, then pour some water into pan on the bottom. Quickly close the oven, trapping the steam inside, and bake the bread for 20-30 minutes or until brown on top.
- While the bread is cooking, mince garlic and chop onion.
- In a large pot, sauté garlic and onion for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add remaining soup ingredients to the pot, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Allow soup to cool, then carefully pour into a blender, blending until the desired consistency is reached (or use an immersion blender if you have one). Pour back into the pot and reheat until warmed through.
- Cut 8 thin slices of bread from the fresh loaves and add provolone, forming 4 sandwiches.
- Spray the outsides of each sandwich with cooking spray, and heat in a skillet over medium until cheese is melted, flipping 1/2 way through cooking to crisp both sides.
- Serve each grilled cheese sandwich alongside a bowl of soup.
Calories: 517kcal | Carbohydrates: 97g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 1690mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 13g