- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 8 slice bread, whole wheat
- 4 ounce cheddar cheese
- 4 cup watermelon
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Dice the celery, carrot, onion, and garlic.
- Strain the tomatoes, reserving the juice; spread out onto a baking sheet and season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and roast for about 15 minutes until caramelized.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic and cook about 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, reserved tomato juice, chicken broth, bay leaf, and butter to the saucepan. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat a skillet or sandwich press and thinly slice cheese.
- Spread butter onto one side of each piece of bread. Add 1 ounce of cheese to each of 4 slices then top with remaining slices forming 4 sandwiches, buttered-side out.
- Place sandwiches onto hot skillet or sandwich press and cook until cheese has melted and bread is golden.
- Add half and half to the soup (if using, more or less may be added to taste), and purée with a hand held immersion blender until smooth. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
- Serve soup with sandwiches and watermelon on the side.
Calories: 615kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 65mg | Sodium: 726mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 19g