- 1 none cooking spray
- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- 1 pound beef, ground, 95% lean
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs, plain
- 1/2 cup pineapple, canned in 100% juice
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 cup vinegar, distilled
- 3 teaspoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cup sugar snap peas
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and place it in the oven while preheating.
- Cook rice as directed on package; remove from heat and cover until ready to serve.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, and bread crumbs using your hands. Form the meat into golf ball sized meatballs and place about 1 inch apart in the hot baking dish. Press down to flatten the bottom just slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn them over and continue baking about 5 more minutes or until somewhat crispy on the outside.
- Prepare the sauce by draining pineapple and reserving the juice. Set pineapple aside, separately.
- Chop pepper into 1-inch pieces and set aside as well.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice to a large skillet, then add water, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch; stir until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Add the pineapple, meatballs, and chopped green pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- While simmering, steam the peas in a small amount of water on the stove.
- Serve meatballs and peas over rice.
Calories: 519kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 114mg | Sodium: 419mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 16g