This is one of those meals you do not need to plan ahead for, as evidenced by my current lazy spring, lack of planning, enjoying life mentality. At 5 pm, when the kids started wandering in asking what was for dinner, I was completely caught off guard. I didn’t realize it was so late. In my defense however, I was working on getting some extra Vitamin D. 🙂 So I needed a fast, easy, yet healthy dinner idea.
We pulled out some:
- Whole wheat tortillas
- A can of pinto beans (that I pureed)
- Some finely shredded cheese
- And some random vegetables from my vegetable drawer
Wade called it, Mexican Pizzas. First I rinsed the beans and pureed them until smooth and spreadable (by adding a little water). I will never buy refried beans again… with all the lard and salt, its not worth it. Plus doing blending up my own beans I can control the consistency. I love the taste of the spread it makes. I spread it on a bagel once and just ate it. DELICIOUS.
Then we placed a tortilla on a griddle, spread with pinto bean spread, and sprinkled a very tiny bit of cheese! After crispy when the cheese was melted, I sliced it up in triangles like they were pizzas. Not only did the kids love it, so did flip floppers friend, who officially declared me the “best dinner maker ever!”
The photo is of the one I made for myself and Wade. The kids didn’t want veggies on theirs, but they did get some whole grains, and some beans on theirs. In time though, I’m big on the power of example.
Super Fast Supper
- 1 medium Zucchini
- 1 pepper Orange Bell Pepper
- 1 medium Red Tomato 2-3/5″ dia
- 1 can drained solids Pinto Beans, Canned
- 4 tortilla Tortilla, Whole Wheat approx 7-8″ dia
- 1/2 cup, shredded Cheese, cheddar
- 1 ounce Greek Yogurt, Plain
- 1 1/2 cup Blueberries, frozen
- Chop zucchini, slice pepper thinly, chop (or slice) tomato, set aside.
- Drain and rinse beans and place into food processor to puree. Spread puree onto each tortilla and then add vegetables and cheese. Bake for 5-6 minutes, or until cheese has melted and tortillas begin to crisp.