- 12 shell pasta shells, jumbo
- 10 ounce spinach, frozen
- 1/4 cup basil, fresh
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, part skim milk
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 4 medium apple
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook shells as directed on package for al dente; set aside.
- Thaw spinach and chop basil.
- Combine ricotta and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese in a large bowl. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the spinach (To remove the most moisture, place spinach in a cheesecloth and squeeze.); add to cheeses along with basil, egg, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Add a small amount of sauce to the bottom of a large baking dish to prevent shells from sticking.
- Fill shells with cheese and spinach mixture and place in prepared dish. Top with sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 5-10 minutes more until bubbly.
- Serve with sliced apples on the side.
Calories: 426kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 1053mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 29g