- 1 pound beef, ground, 90% lean
- 1 1/2 medium onion
- 1 cup, pieces or slices mushrooms, white
- 3 clove garlic
- 28 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon basil, dried
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 8 ounce spaghetti pasta, whole-wheat, dry
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 cup spinach
- 1 cup mandarin oranges, canned in juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoon vinegar, balsamic
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, stirring frequently to crumble.
- Meanwhile, chop onions, slice mushrooms, and chop garlic.
- Add beef and veggies to a crockpot; stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings, then cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Just before serving, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain oranges.
- While pasta cooks, toss together the spinach, orange wedges, oil, and vinegar in a large bowl.
- Serve sauce over pasta, garnished with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese; serve salad on the side.
Calories: 266kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 620mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g