- 1 none cooking spray
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounce turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cup watermelon
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
- Rinse zucchini and pat dry. Slice each in half lengthwise, then scoop out some of the insides, leaving enough to keep the zucchini stable and “meaty.”
- Chop scooped out zucchini, dice onion, and slice tomatoes in half; cut watermelon into chunks. Set each aside separately.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage to hot skillet and cook for 5 minutes; stirring to crumble. Add onions and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Stir in quinoa, water, and Italian seasoning, then bring to a boil; turn heat down to a simmer, cover, and cook for 12-15 minutes until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed.
- When quinoa is done, add tomatoes and chopped zucchini; stir to combine. Replace the lid, remove from the heat, and set aside to allow the tomatoes to soften.
- Meanwhile, place zucchini “boats” onto a microwave-safe dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook in the microwave for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Place zucchini into prepared baking dish and fill with sausage mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake on upper rack of oven for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with watermelon on the side. (Serving size: 2 boats for adults and maybe only 1 for a child, 1/2 cup fruit)
Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 495mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g