- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 1/4 medium onion, red
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 3 clove garlic
- 30 ounce black beans, canned
- 10 ounce tomatoes with green chilies, canned
- 4 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1/4 cup tomato paste, canned
- 3 cup water
- 1/8 cup cornmeal, yellow
- 4 ounce tortilla chips
- 2 cup mango cubes, frozen
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the chicken, and then sprinkle a small amount of the seasoning mixture onto both sides. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until no longer pink. Shred, and set aside.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Dice the onion and peppers, and mince the garlic; add to the pot and stir to sauté. Add in the remaining spice mixture and the shredded chicken and stir again to fully combine.
- Drain and rinse the beans; add to the stock pot along with the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a boil and then simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the cornmeal and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let rest for 15 minutes; the soup will thicken as it cools.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips, and serve with mango on the side.
Calories: 603kcal | Carbohydrates: 83g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 1627mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 17g