- 1 pound chicken, 3 lb roaster
- 6 medium carrot
- 4 stalk celery
- 3 medium russet potato
- 3 medium onion
- 2 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 3 teaspoon thyme, fresh
- 4 cup spinach
- 1 medium apple
- 4 tablespoon vinegar, balsamic
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Fold the wings of the chicken across the back so tips are touching. There may be a little resistance, but once they are in this position, they will stay. Tie the legs to the tail with string or use skewers; if the tail is missing, tie the legs together.
- In a shallow roasting pan, place the chicken with the breast side up. Roast chicken uncovered for 45 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting, peel the carrots and potatoes and cut them and the celery into 1-inch pieces. Peel the onions, and cut into wedges.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Spread the carrots, celery, potatoes and onions around the chicken. In a 1-quart saucepan, heat the butter over low heat just until melted. Stir the thyme into the butter, then drizzle over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover the chicken and vegetables with foil; roast 45 to 60 minutes longer until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Carve chicken and serve with the vegetables along with a side salad of greens, chopped apple, and vinegar.
Calories: 422kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 140mg | Sodium: 240mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g