- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped shallot
- 2 cup orzo, dry
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp, ground black pepper, ground
- 4 fl oz cooking wine, white
- 4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium whole (2-3/5″ dia) tomato, red
- 1 fruit (2-3/8″ dia) lemon
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 4 medium pear
- Heat oil in a medium skillet. Add minced shallots, cook 2-3 minutes to soften.
- Add orzo and toss together to coat. Add a dash each of salt and pepper, then the white wine. Allow to boil and allow to evaporate.
- Add stock 1/2 cup at a time, allowing to evaporate almost completely, before adding more. Keeping the heat at medium-high, the liquid should be there, but not a lot.
- At about 10 minutes after adding the orzo, test it to see if it is tender, but with texture, not mushy.
- Add butter and add some parmesan, allow to melt. The remaining may be used as a garnish. Set aside, cover to keep warm. Steam broccoli, then add to orzo.
- Serve warm, topped with a squeeze of lemon and freshly chopped tomato. Sliced pears on the side.
Calories: 797kcal | Carbohydrates: 126g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 1476mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 28g