More often than not, our dinners are meatless these days. The last couple years we have changed our diet to include more plant-based protein sources and our family loves it! Typically meatless meals cost less and can provide a wider variety of nutrients in your diet. While quinoa does have less protein than meat, it also contains a lot of fiber which meat does not. This Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato Boat Recipe is stuffed with so many good things you won’t even miss the meat!
I like to cook quinoa in either my rice cooker, or my pressure cooker. It takes about 15 minutes in a rice cooker, and about 3 minutes in a pressure cooker! This is how we cook ours in a rice cooker. You want to make sure you rinse quinoa well, in order to remove the bitter taste it can have if you don’t. After your quinoa is cooked, and your veggies chopped, I throw everything into the pot that I cooked the quinoa in, and mix it up. Less dishes later!
Next, prepare your sweet potatoes. For this recipe, you will want to select sweet potatoes that aren’t really huge. I tried to find medium to small potatoes. Take your sweet potatoes, and wash the outside good, and then poke with a fork. If you have some time, bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until fork tender. If you start dinner at 5:00 (like I usually do) you can cook them in the microwave for 5 minutes for 1 potato, and 3 minutes for each additional potato. After you slice your sweet potatoes in half, scoop out some of the yummy inside. I like to leave some of the sweet potato inside, because it is delicious with each bite of the quinoa mixture.
Save the sweet potato inside and you can use it to make some yummy Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls or Fruit and Veggie Pops. We sprinkled our sweet potato boats with a little bit of sharp cheddar before popping under the broiler. You can also use Feta which we love on these! Or serve with salsa and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on top. My kids loved these, and thought it was fun they really looked like boats! Adding the sails to these didn’t take long at all, but added that element of fun that sometimes gets kids to try new things. Hope your family likes these as much as mine!
Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato BoatPrint Pin Rate
- 6 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cup water
- 3/4 medium bell pepper, red
- 1 medium onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 15 ounce black beans, canned
- 3/4 cup corn, frozen
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 2 medium lime
- Wash sweet potatoes and poke with a fork. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes, or microwave for 5 minutes for first potato and 3 minutes for each additional potato.
- When potatoes are cooked, slice in half and scoop out most of the potato, and save for another recipe. Leave a little in the skin.
- Rinse quinoa well. Add 2 cups of water with quinoa and cook either on the stove top on medium for about 15 minutes, or in a rice cooker.
- While quinoa cooks, dice pepper, onion, mince garlic and drain and rinse beans.
- When quinoa is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients, juicing the limes and adding to the mixture.
- Stuff potatoes with quinoa mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese if desired, and broil in the oven until cheese is melted and golden. (1-2 minutes)