- 6 medium (approx 2-3/4″ long, 2-1/2 dia.) bell pepper, red
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup black beans, canned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup, chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp, ground black pepper, ground
- 1 cup TOMATO SAUCE
- 1/2 cup (8 fl oz) yogurt, plain, low-fat
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 melon (15″ long x 7-1/2″ dia) watermelon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tops off of peppers, and remove the inside; keep the top portion of the pepper, to cover while baking.
- If rice is not cooked yet, follow instructions on package and do this now.
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium heat; drizzle oil into skillet, add onions and minced garlic. Saute for 1 mintue.
- Add tomato sauce, beans, seasonings and rice; combine thoroughly.
- Place an even amount of mixture into each pepper, place top of pepper on top; sprinkle with cheese, and lightly cover peppers with foil.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes; until peppers are softened. Top with yogurt and salsa if desired.
- Cut watermelon into cubes and serve on the side.
Calories: 742kcal | Carbohydrates: 155g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 1245mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 87g