- 5 medium onion
- 3 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon cooking wine, white
- 1/3 tablespoon mustard, dijon
- 1 teaspoon bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 slice whole wheat baguette
- 4 ounce mozzarella cheese
- Thinly slice the onions- 5-6 cups. In a large soup saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion. Cook until the onion is limp and soft- about 20 minutes, stirring often. (this makes the onion nice and sweet)
- Turn up the heat to medium high and cook the onion until golden brown, but do not burn. It takes 10 minutes. Turn the heat back down to medium.
- Add 2 tablespoons all purpose flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, water, salt, 2 tablespoons wine, mustard and 1 bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Turn the heat down to a high simmer and cook with the lid off for 30 more minutes. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 906mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g