- 1 onion onion, sweet
- 4 clove garlic
- 2 cup chopped basil, fresh
- 8 ounce spaghetti pasta, whole-wheat, dry
- 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 4 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese
- Julienne the onion and thinly slice the garlic. Chop 2 large sprigs of basil.
- Place the uncooked pasta, tomatoes with juice, onion, garlic, basil, in a large stock pot. Pour in vegetable broth. Sprinkle on top the 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes and oregano. Drizzle top with oil.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and keep covered and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Cook until almost all liquid has evaporated – leave about an inch of liquid in the bottom of the pot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, stirring pasta several times to distribute the liquid in the bottom of the pot. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 653mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g