When I tried to make this bean soup a few weeks ago, I mentioned it was lacking in the flavor department. That is when Meredith of Vegetarian Nation came to the rescue! She is a SHK reader and a dietitian. Upon sending me this recipe, I tried it right away. My kids loved it (with a side of corn bread…they also like tortilla chips to dig up the beans) . They thought it was chili, which helped. Being familiar with a food, usually equals less complaining.
So, here it is:
- 5 cans chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pkg (20 oz) 15 bean soup mix, sorted and rinsed
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained (original recipe called for a 15 oz can, but i always use the big can instead)
Mix all ingredients except crushed tomatoes in 5-6 qt crockpot. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, or until beans are tender. Stir in tomatoes and cover and cook on high heat about 15 minutes or until hot.
I love that:
- Its a crockpot recipe!
- That my kids liked it
- That it made delicious lunch leftovers!
Post Edit: Exactly 2 years later, I made this again. (October 25, 2011). I think my new picture looks much more appetizing!