- 12 ounce ricotta cheese, part skim milk
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 12 ounce mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 16 ounce pasta, ziti
- 3 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper/chili flakes
- 56 ounce crushed tomatoes, canned
- 4 medium orange
- Mix ricotta, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the shredded mozzarella and grated Parmesan cheese together. (2 ounces of grated Parmesan is about 1/2 cup).
- Cook ziti as directed on package to al dente.
- Using the same pot you cooked the pasta, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Heat over medium for 1-2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer; cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Remove from heat and mix with pasta.
- Add half the pasta to a 9X13 inch baking dish. Scoop large spoonfuls of ricotta mixture over pasta and gently spread around. Pour over the remaining pasta.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and then foil. Refrigerate for 24 hours or toss in the freezer for up to a month.
- When ready to bake, thaw overnight if needed. Remove both the foil and plastic wrap. Lightly cover with foil and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with orange slices on the side.
Calories: 579kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 951mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11g