This lemon chicken version is a delicious twist on original chicken soup, and just as soul-warming. Plus, it’s effortlessly packed with all sorts of veggies.
Love lentils? Check out our
Fall is here – which means soups are too! Chicken soup particularly ranks up there with the most comforting of comfort foods. This lemon chicken version is a delicious twist on the original, and just as soul-warming. Plus, it’s effortlessly packed with all sorts of veggies.
Wanna know my favorite part? Our lemon chicken soup includes two types of legumes -lentils AND white beans. I’m pretty much obsessed with legumes because they’re like a hybrid veggie-protein all in one! Packed with fiber, protein, folate, and iron. To top it off, they’re delicious and versatile. Favorite.
Let’s make this deliciousness
Before you cook lentils, make sure to wash and sort them. Sometimes they have little earthy treasures mixed in like dirt or rocks. But don’t worry, a quick rinse and look-over does the trick.
For this recipe, we’re using red lentils. Aren’t they just gorgeous?!
Once your lentils are rinsed and veggies chopped, heat a large stock pot or Dutch oven on the stove on medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, carrots, and celery in a few tablespoons of olive oil to make a traditional chicken soup base. When the onions become translucent, add garlic and spices and sauté for a minute. I added only half a teaspoon of salt because the broth we add next brings lots of sodium in with it. And you can always add in more salt later!
Now add your broth and lentils, bring the soup to a boil, and then let it simmer on medium-low for 10-15 minutes. You’ll know you’re ready for the next step when the lentils are cooked (they lose that vibrant orange color… sad, I know).
(I’ll let you in on a little secret- having some pre-cooked chicken on hand makes dinners quick and easy! Whether you pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store or simply cook up a few chicken breasts at the beginning of the week, you’re golden! Throw your chicken on a salad or into a pasta dish and you’ve got protein covered.)Serve this delicious chicken soup warm with some crusty bread and some freshly grated parmesan cheese on top. Quick, grab a spoon!
Lemon Chicken Soup with Lentils, Kale, & Beans
- 2 medium carrot
- 2 stalk celery
- 1 medium onion
- 5 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 tablespoon parsley, dried
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 cup lentils, raw
- 1 cup, chopped kale
- 2 cup Chicken Breast, cooked, chopped
- 2 can white beans
- 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- Chop carrots, celery, onion; mince garlic; set aside separately.
- Heat a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add enough oil to cover the bottom, then saute carrots, celery and onion until the onion is translucent. Then add garlic and saute a minute longer.
- Add chicken broth, parsley, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper. Rinse and drain lentils, add to pot. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer 12-15 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through.
- Add kale, cooked chicken, rinsed and drained beans, and both zest and juice of lemon, to the soup. Simmer until the chicken is heated through and the kale is wilted.