Craving a restaurant-style hot sandwich? You’ll love this entirely fresh but quick-to-make combo! Whole wheat rolls are stuffed with veggies, chicken breast, and melty Provolone cheese. Pair this sandwich with a piece of fruit for a wholesome and balanced lunch.
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 4 regular whole wheat hot dog buns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound chicken breast
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, white
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 slice provolone cheese
- 4 medium kiwi
- Heat oven to broil.
- Soften butter and spread onto the insides of the hot dog buns. Place buns under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until they begin to brown; watch closely so they do not burn!
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Slice chicken longways (the same way you would to butterfly it) and add to hot skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes per side until outsides are browned and the center is no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Meanwhile, chop mushrooms, spinach, bell pepper, and kiwis.
- Add pepper and mushrooms to the skillet and cook 3-4 minutes until crisp-tender. Season with salt to taste.
- Add cooked chicken to buns, then top with cheese and veggies. Serve with kiwi on the side.