- 2 cup water
- 2/3 cup powdered milk
- 2 tablespoon yeast, active dry
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 large egg
- 2 cup flour, whole wheat
- 3 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In the large bowl combine 2 cups WARM water and the powdered milk and whisk so the milk dissolves.
- Add the yeast to this mixture while water and milk is still warm. Let yeast start to bubble for a few minutes (3-5). Add sugar, salt, butter, egg and 2 cups of the flour. Mix on low speed of mixer with a dough hook until ingredients are wet, then turn to medium speed and mix for 2 minutes. Stop the mixer and add 2 cups of the wheat flour (now 4 cups total flour added so far) then mix on low speed until the ingredients are wet, then turn mixer on medium speed and mix for 2 minutes. The dough will be getting stiff and you may need to remove the bowl from the mixer and mix in the remaining flour by hand. Your dough may still be sticky.
- Add approximately 1/2- 1 cup of flour and mix again. (This can be done by hand or mixer). The dough should be soft, not overly sticky, and not stiff. Add more flour if necessary so it’s easy enough to handle without sticking to your hands or mixer. Scrape the dough off the sides of the bowl and pour approximately on tablespoon of canola oil all around the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough over in the bowl so it is covered with the oil. Cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size. (about 1 hour)
- Sprinkle a cutting board or counter with flour and put the dough on the flour. You want to put enough flour on the dough so that it is workable and not sticky. Roll out into a large rectangle, about 12 inches by 8 inches.
- With a pizza cutter, cut down the middle, and then cut 1 to 2 inch cross cuts
- Roll up slices of dough, and place seam side down on a cookie sheet. Cover again and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove cover and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
Calories: 184kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 283mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g