- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 2 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 ounce cheddar cheese
- 1 cup pineapple, canned in 100% juice
- 1 jumbo black olives, canned
- 3 stalk green onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 cup Noodles, chinese, chow mein
- 1 medium tomato, red
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- Cook chicken on the stove top in boiling water. Cube or shred as desired.
- Cook rice according to directions.
- In a large sauce pan, saute the onion in the olive oil until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about one minute, stirring, until fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for one minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken broth. Cook, stirring constantly with a whisk, and bring the sauce to a simmer over medium. Add the salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and simmering, stirring the sauce frequently, until the sauce has thickened, about 5-8 minutes.
- At this point if you want the sauce to thicken more, in a small bowl whisk together 2 Tbsp flour and 2 Tbsp water until smooth, you don’t want lumps. It should look like a paste. Drizzle a little of the flour mixture at a time while whisking into to sauce mixture until desired thickness is reached.
- Serve over rice.
- Chop green onions, celery, carrots, tomato, and green pepper. Add desired toppings to your haystack.
Calories: 495kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 604mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 15g