Add some orange-veggie nutrition and a sweet taste to kid-friendly grilled cheese with this grilled cheese and sweet potato sandwich!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slice bread, whole wheat
- 1 none cooking spray
- 4 cup green peas, frozen
- 4 medium apple
- Pierce sweet potato several times with a fork, then place in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 5-6 minutes until soft. (Be careful when removing; the dish will be hot!)
- Allow potato to cool, then mash thoroughly with a potato masher, hand mixer, or fork (depending on desired consistency). Add to a medium bowl and stir in cheese.
- Spread cheese mixture onto 4 of the bread slices, topping with the remaining bread to form sandwiches.
- Coat a large non-stick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and heat over medium.
- Place the sandwiches in the pan and spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Cook 4-5 minutes per side until the bread is crisp and the filling is melted.
- Meanwhile, warm peas according to package directions.
- Serve sandwiches with peas and apple slices on the side.