These chewy bars are chock full of nuts and fruit for a real food energy boost that’s high in fiber and super yummy, too!
- 1 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- 1 cup apricots, dried
- 1/3 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberries, dried
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F and place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Chop dates and apricots into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the brown sugar, walnuts, chopped dried fruit, and cranberries. Use your fingers to make sure that all the fruit and nuts have been coated with the flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl, using a wire whisk or a hand mixer, beat the egg and vanilla until thickened and light in color (this will take several minutes).
- Add the egg mixture to the fruit and nut mixture and stir until well combined. Spread into the prepared pan, pressing down into an even layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and pulled away from the sides of the pan. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- When cooled, lift the bars from the pan by the edges of the aluminum foil. Use a sharp knife to cut into 16 squares.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 10 days, longer if refrigerated.