Busy? Poor? Still want to eat healthy? The best weapon I have is frozen vegetables! When they go on sale, I fill my freezer with all kinds! Stir-fry mixes, broccoli, peas and carrots, corn, etc!
We add frozen vegetables to rice, noodles, soups, casseroles, pot pies, and as a side dish. Here is what I like:
- They last forever! (in contrast to fresh veggies)
- They don’t need to be washed
- They don’t need to be chopped/ peeled/ cut.
- They are generally cheaper.
- They are usually picked at the peak of ripeness
- We can eat them out of season and all year long!
So, here is our favorite, fast, healthy, go- to meal. I always have the ingredients on hand, and my kids will eat a ton of it! It looks like a long recipe, but I promise it is QUICK!!!
- 3 TBL butter
- 3 TBL flour
Melt butter in small saucepan and stir flour in until bubbly. Then Add:
- 1 cup of Chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp oregeno
- 1/2 tsp pepper.
Bring to a boil and simmer. Stir occasionally. Then, in large skillet add:
- 1 TBL butter and 1 TBL olive oil. Then after butter melts, add:
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped.
Cook till browned then add:
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower. (defrosted)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli (defrosted)
- 1 package frozen peas (defrosted)
Cover and cook till heated through. Then stir in:
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth
- 1 large fresh tomato (or canned tomatoes)
Add 1/2 pound cooked whole wheat noodles (such as spaghetti or linguini). Mix everything together (vegetables, sauce, and noodles) then top with parmesan cheese.