- 16 ounce penne pasta, dry
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 28 ounce crushed tomatoes, canned
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon basil, dried
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 medium onion, red
- 2 medium carrot
- 4 medium tangerine (mandarin orange)
- Cook pasta as directed on package for al dente.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat; add oil and minced garlic. Sauté a minute or two until garlic is fragrant, but not yet browned.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, and salt to the pan; reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in basil and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, then salt, pepper, and nutmeg; cook for 1 minute, whisking continuously. Stir in milk and bring sauce to a simmer, continuing to whisk until smooth. Cook 5 minutes to reduce.
- When pasta is cooked, drain and transfer to a 9×13″ baking dish. Pour tomato and basil sauce over pasta and toss to coat.
- Pour butter sauce over pasta but do not mix in. Top with cheeses and bake 3-5 minutes until bubbly; watch closely so it does not burn!
- Shred lettuce (if not already done), dice onion, and shred or grate carrots. Toss in a large bowl along with your favorite dressing.
- Serve pasta with salad and oranges on the side.
Calories: 381kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 515mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g