Chocolate cake is a classic treat that deserves a place in your recipe arsenal. And this super easy recipe, which is made with a base of ground oats and yogurt, is a healthy alternative that still delivers on the indulgent flavor you expect. But the best part? The batter comes together in a food processor with no other special equipment and it bakes up in just 30 minutes.
My family has a handful of spring birthdays, so easy desserts are always on my mind at this time of year. And since our birthday parties are often attended by lots of kids, friends with gluten-intolerances, and those who just love chocolate, this cake has become a staple in our house.
I love baking with ground rolled oats, which takes the place of regular flour in this cake, because it’s an easy ingredient if you need to cater to a gluten-free crowd. (Just look for certified gluten free oats in your store). And when combined with cocoa powder and a handful of other ingredients to add both flavor and moisture—there’s even yogurt in the mix—this cake is super moist, yet rich. We like it served chilled, which makes it a perfect dessert option if you’re looking for something to make ahead of time.
There’s just enough chocolate in the batter to satisfy cravings, but not enough to result in sugar crashes in the kiddos—and the sprinkling of chocolate on top is purely optional. You could also do sliced strawberries or a pile of fresh raspberries if you’d rather incorporate some fruit.
We love this Chocolate Coconut Cake for a special dessert. It’s also the perfect thing to enjoy on a weekend afternoon alongside a cup of milk or coffee. Enjoy!
Chocolate Coconut Cake RecipePrint Pin Rate
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch round baking pan.
- Place the oats, coconut, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, flaxseed, and chocolate chips into the bowl of a food processor. Grind into a coarse powder, about 30 seconds.
- Add the yogurt, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla and process for an additional 30 seconds. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan (the batter will be thin) and bake for 28-30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the pan comes out cleanly. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan on a wire rack, then invert onto a wire rack out of the pan and let cool completely. Top with frosting and serve immediately, or cover and store in the fridge up to overnight before serving. Serves 8-10 (or more if just for little ones!)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine 6 ounces full or low fat cream cheese softened at room temperature, 2 tablespoons whole milk plain yogurt, 3 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup), and 1/2 teaspoon honey in a medium bowl. Stir together well with either a wooden spoon or a hand held electric mixer. Spread over cake, topping with additional chopped chocolate if desired.