Crockpot Black Eyed Peas and CornbreadPrint Pin Rate
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 2 cup black eyed peas, dry
- 1/4 medium onion
- 4 ounce diced green chilies, canned
- 1 clove garlic
- 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes, canned
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 3/4 cup cornmeal, yellow
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 4 cup green beans
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 medium orange
- Soak the dry black eyed peas overnight in a crockpot.
- Rinse the beans and put them back in the crockpot with enough water to cover them.
- Dice the onion. Add to the crockpot along with the green chilies and minced garlic.
- Cook on high for 8 hours.
- When the beans only have an hour left to cook, stir in tomatoes, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim beans and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Mix all bread ingredients together in a large bowl until just moistened.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray and fill each cup with batter.
- Bake alongside green beans for 15-20 minutes.
- Just before serving, mix 2 tablespoons flour with a little cold water and add it to the black eyed peas if a thicker consistency is desired.
- Serve black eyed peas with corn bread, green beans, and orange slices.