- 1 cup black eyed peas, dry
- 1/2 pound turkey, ground
- 1 1/2 medium onion
- 1 medium bell pepper, red
- 2 medium carrot
- 2 stalk celery
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup barley, pearled, dry
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon bay leaf, crumbled
- 5 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- Soak beans overnight in a medium-sized pot. The next day, drain water and cover with a fresh amount of cold water (enough to cover the beans by several inches). Bring beans to a boil over medium high heat, and boil for 10 minutes; drain, and rinse beans well. (Alternatively, you could cook the beans in a pressure cooker–about 22 minutes. Or, simply buy canned beans!)
- Brown turkey in a skillet over medium high heat, stirring to crumble. Once cooked through, remove from skillet and set aside.
- Finely chop onion and red pepper, chop carrots and celery, and mince garlic.
- Heat oil in skillet and add onion. Cook covered 3-4 minutes, then add garlic, carrots, celery, and bell pepper. Stir well and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add beans, barley, cooked turkey, thyme, bay leaf, chicken broth, and water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste, then cook 30 more minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Calories: 437kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 267mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 6g