- 30 ounce black beans, canned
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 stalk green onion
- 2 large egg
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs, plain
- 2 medium avocado
- 6 regular hamburger buns, whole wheat
- 2 medium apple
- Drain and rinse beans. Dice bell pepper, chop cilantro, and slice onion. Set aside separately.
- Place 2 1/2 cups beans in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until mostly smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, 1 tablespoon of the oil, cumin, and salt. Stir to blend.
- Add the egg mixture, bread crumbs, remaining beans, bell pepper, cilantro, and onion to the bowl with the mashed beans. Stir together until evenly combined.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions, about ½ cup each. Lightly pack into 1-inch thick patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Carefully place patties in the skillet and cook until well browned on both sides, about 8-10 minutes total. Remove from heat and repeat with remaining patties, adding more oil as needed.
- Mash the avocados and spread onto buns; add a bean burger to each.
- Serve sliced apples on the side.
Calories: 559kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 1054mg | Fiber: 20g | Sugar: 11g