Quick Summer Tomato Soup with Garlic-Basil PureePrint Pin Rate
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 medium onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 12 medium tomato, red
- 4 clove garlic
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup basil, fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 slice bread, Italian
- 2 medium orange
- Chop onion, celery, carrot, and tomatoes; press or mince garlic.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and 2/3 of the garlic; sauté 5-7 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed red pepper (optional) and tomatoes, and continue to cook 15 minutes, covered, until the tomatoes give up their liquid and begin to fall apart.
- Add the water and orange juice and continue to cook, covered, about 15 minutes longer until the tomatoes have completely broken up. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the soup is cooking, combine the basil leaves, remaining garlic, and remaining oil in a blender and process until very smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove soup from the heat and puree in a blender, working in batches if necessary (or use an immersion blender).
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with drizzles of the basil-garlic puree.
- Serve with a slice of Italian bread and orange wedges on the side.
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 631mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 13g