The difference between quick bread and regular bread, is quick bread doesn’t have yeast, and doesn’t need to go through the rising process. While we enjoy both kinds, quick breads are usually delicious and sweet! With today’s recipe, we included some healthy whole grains; oats and whole wheat flour. As well as some heart healthy pecans!
Our last letter Q post is QUICK BREAD: Banana-Pecan!
- 3 bananas (mashed)
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 3 TBL. canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
In separate bowl, combine:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Fold in 1 cup toasted oats (or untoasted, but toasted tastes better)
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans
Fold dry ingredients into the wet, without over mixing! Spoon into a prepared 9X5 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle a few extra nuts on top. Bake at 350 for 60-90 minutes or until cooked through as tested with a knife.
- Vitamin E in pecans will protect your brain and help you stay smart! And who doesn’t want smart kids, ya know what I mean!
- Antioxidants in pecans may help reduce inflammation and cholesterol (which is become more of a problem in children today!
- People who eat pecans are more likely to be at normal weight.
- Pecans have 19 vitamins and minerals!
- One ounce of pecans have 10% of your daily need for fiber.
I have another busy day at the school today. The end of the school year has somehow infiltrated my calendar this week with performances, activities, graduations, and parties. I haven’t been online much at all! I’m going through withdrawal, really. This weekend however, you can catch me on Facebook, posting our new meal plan tomorrow, and gearing up for LETTER R! Which, I’m way more thrilled about than letter Q!
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie