- 6 medium (approx 2-3/4″ long, 2-1/2 dia.) bell pepper, red
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 cup black beans, canned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup, chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp, ground black pepper, ground
- 1 cup TOMATO SAUCE
- 1/2 cup (8 fl oz) yogurt, plain, low-fat
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 melon (15″ long x 7-1/2″ dia) watermelon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tops off of peppers, and remove the inside; keep the top portion of the pepper, to cover while baking.
- If rice is not cooked yet, follow instructions on package and do this now.
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium heat; drizzle oil into skillet, add onions and minced garlic. Saute for 1 mintue.
- Add tomato sauce, beans, seasonings and rice; combine thoroughly.
- Place an even amount of mixture into each pepper, place top of pepper on top; sprinkle with cheese, and lightly cover peppers with foil.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes; until peppers are softened. Top with yogurt and salsa if desired.
- Cut watermelon into cubes and serve on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie