Delicious and kid friendly, this pomegranate smoothie recipe will surprise you with how nutritious it is!
It’s no surprise, we’re big fans of smoothies over here! Why wouldn’t we be? Smoothies are such a great way to make sure your kids are getting vital nutrients each and every day! In fact, rarely a day goes by when we don’t drink a smoothie, so we are always looking for new recipes, combinations, cookbooks, and add-ins!
Our most recent cookbook is a brand new one from Tess Masters, creator of The Blender Girl, called The Blender Girl Smoothies. And let me tell you, I have first hand knowledge that Tess is legit! She practices what she preaches, she drinks her green smoothies, and she’s a fireball of energy and health. So, when she has a new book, I want it!
Now, while there are over 100 smoothie recipes in this new cookbook, I was intrigued by the Pomegranate Slam It! Not only did it have some pomegranate juice and frozen strawberries (like I expected), but it also had red peppers, avocado and arugula! Not expected! But it was actually really good! There was a small amount of the peppers and arugula, so it wasn’t overpowering, and didn’t interfere with the sweetness of the smoothie itself. Overall- every kid at my house drank one!
According to the cookbook: Pomegranate lowers blood pressure, keeps arteries supple, decreases inflammation in blood vessels, and helps manage cholesterol. Its phenolic antioxidants (also in strawberries) combat oxidative stress, making this an anti-aging tonic! Get the full recipe below so you can try it yourselves!
Any way you can get your kids to eat more fruits and veggies is a win! We have no rules here when it comes to preparation and consumption! We will take them frozen, fresh, blended, canned, raw, cooked, juiced or dried! It’s all about getting kids to enjoy the tastes and textures of fruits and vegetables. Kids who eat the recommended amount of fruits and veggies:
Kids who get the recommended amount of fruits and vegetables:
- Have a decreased risk for Type 2 diabetes
- Have Improved immunity
- Maintain a healthier weight
- Enjoy better vision and skin
- Have healthier gums and teeth.
- Have more energy to play
- Prefer healthier food!
- Increased brain function.
- Get better sleep.
- Plus, live longer!
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1 orange, peeled, seeded, and quartered
- 1/4 cup (35g) chopped red bell pepper
- 1/8 cup (3g) loosely packed arugula
- 1/2 small avocado, pitted and peeled
- 1 cup (160g) frozen strawberries
- 1 cup (125g) ice cubes
- 1 tbsp pomegranate powder
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chard leaves (15g)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Throw all of the ingredients into your blender and blast on high for about 1 minute, until smooth and creamy.