- 2 cup brown rice, raw
- 1 1/2 medium onion
- 1 medium bell pepper, green
- 3 stalk celery
- 4 clove garlic
- 8 ounce turkey sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Cajun spice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cup kidney beans, canned
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Cook rice according to package and set aside.
- Finely chop one onion (1 1/4 cup), green pepper, and celery stalks. Mince garlic cloves.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook kielbasa (13 ounces) or sausage to sear, stirring frequently for 4 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Reduce to medium heat and add oil. Add onion, pepper and celery; saute for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, smoked paprika and salt; saute another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in beans and water; bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Mash some of the beans against the side of the pot to thicken the broth. Add the sausage back in, stir well and cook another 15 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice and with your favorite hot sauce.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie