- 1 cup brown rice, raw
- 1/2 medium orange
- 1 medium lime
- 1 teaspoon red pepper/chili flakes
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, fresh
- 2 stalk green onion
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon vinegar, distilled
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce, gluten free
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 slice pineapple
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 medium tomato, red
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- Cook rice according to the package directions.
- Zest and juice the orange half and the lime.
- Using a food processor puree pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, green onions, thyme, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper, brown sugar, oil, vinegar, soy sauce, orange juice, orange zest, lime juice, and lime zest.
- Add marinade to the shrimp and marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Cut pineapple into smaller pieces and skewer with the shrimp. If grilling outdoors, preheat grill to medium-high. Grill for approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
- Chop tomatoes and cucumber. Add these to a bowl with any remaining pineapple. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to coat.
- Serve shrimp with rice and salad.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie