Add some orange-veggie nutrition and a sweet taste to kid-friendly grilled cheese with this grilled cheese and sweet potato sandwich!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slice bread, whole wheat
- 1 none cooking spray
- 4 cup green peas, frozen
- 4 medium apple
- Pierce sweet potato several times with a fork, then place in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 5-6 minutes until soft. (Be careful when removing; the dish will be hot!)
- Allow potato to cool, then mash thoroughly with a potato masher, hand mixer, or fork (depending on desired consistency). Add to a medium bowl and stir in cheese.
- Spread cheese mixture onto 4 of the bread slices, topping with the remaining bread to form sandwiches.
- Coat a large non-stick skillet or griddle with cooking spray and heat over medium.
- Place the sandwiches in the pan and spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Cook 4-5 minutes per side until the bread is crisp and the filling is melted.
- Meanwhile, warm peas according to package directions.
- Serve sandwiches with peas and apple slices on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie