- 8 ounce elbow noodles
- 1 cup, sliced squash, summer
- 1 cup broccoli, florets
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/8 cup cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 medium kiwi
- 2 medium avocado
- Cook elbow noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Cook squash and broccoli until soft enough to puree. This can be done on stove top in a small amount of water and covered pan, or quickly in the microwave in a covered, microwave safe dish. Cool to touch; place in food processor (or blender) and puree to a smooth consistency; a small amount of water may be added gradually to help make it smooth.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add 1 tablespoon of flour, whisk together and continue to whisk until thick and bubbly (but not burned!). Add 1/2 cup of milk and stir till it begins to bubble again. Add summer squash and broccoli puree (you will only need about 3/4 cup in total, so freeze any that may be left over), and stir untill fully smooth and mixed in. Add cream cheese and mix until smooth. Add salt.
- Add the cooked macaroni to your thickened cheese sauce. Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top, just before serving.
- Keep it green and serve with kiwi and avocado.
Calories: 494kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 681mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 8g