- 4 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 4 medium orange
- 2 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1/3 cup flour, whole wheat
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 3 cup cranberries, dried
- 2 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Chop cold butter and set aside. Zest 2 oranges into a small dish and then cut those two in half and squeeze as much of the juice as possible into a separate dish. (The remaining oranges are to serve with baked scones).
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flours, sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, and salt. Then fold in applesauce and chopped butter. Stir until a course crumb forms. (Sometimes hands work best when doing this step).
- Stir in dried cranberries and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vanilla, egg, milk, and the juice from the oranges.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until you have a dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for a minute or two to make sure it is fully incorporated. Roll out into 1/2 inch thickness and cut into circles with a cookie or biscuit cutter.
- Place scones 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned.
- Serve with orange wedges on the side.
Calories: 252kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 162mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 27g