- 2/3 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 medium carrot
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 15 ounce kidney beans, canned
- 1 tablespoon mustard, dijon
- 5 tablespoon tomato paste, canned
- 1/8 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 3/4 cup oats, dry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 none cooking spray
- 8 regular hamburger buns, whole wheat
- 2 cup pineapple
- 2 cup green beans
- Chop onion, mince garlic, grate carrot, and slice pineapple; set all aside separately.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium.
- Add onion and garlic to hot skillet and sauté 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add carrots, chili powder, and cumin; reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans; add to a medium-sized bowl and mash with the back of a fork.
- Add mustard, tomato paste, and soy sauce to the beans, then add to the veggies. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Add oats, salt, and pepper to the bean mixture and mix thoroughly. When cool enough to handle, shape into 8 patties. (For best results, allow the mixture to chill completely in the fridge before handling.)
- Spray a separate skillet or griddle with cooking spray; cook patties over medium until heated through and browned.
- Meanwhile, add green beans to a small pan with a small amount of water; steam until crisp-tender, or simply cook in the microwave.
- Serve each bean burger on a bun with pineapple slices and steamed green beans on the side.
I'm a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.Learn More about Natalie